Welcome to all Rotary Coaches! Thank you for volunteering your time and talent in helping to raise up kids that know the sport of basketball and have fun playing it.
You’ll find rules, documents & forms here that will help you during the season.
If you have questions or aren’t finding what you’re looking for here, please get in touch.
Gym Rules for Rotary Basketball
The gym facilities used in practices and games during Rotary Basketball season are critical to our program. None of these facilities belong to Rotary.
The use of these facilities is extended to Rotary by School District 5, St. Matthews, and other schools in the valley. It is necessary that we respect and care for these facilities and manage school equipment/property that is inside or accessible from these gyms. This will generally be the coach’s responsibility to comply by the following rules and inform the parents and players of their responsibility to also comply during the use of the building.
General Gym Rules
- Doors will generally be opened 15 minutes prior to the start of practices or games.
- Coaches should be the first to arrive and the last to leave. The gym/players should never be left unsupervised.
- Only gym shoes are allowed in the gyms; street shoes, boots, or other non-gym shoes are prohibited.
- During practices, only players and coaches, and parents with an “o.k.” from the coach, should be in attendance. Friends, siblings, and others need not be in the school or gym during practices.
- Players should remain in the gym during the entire practice. Authorized bathrooms and fountains may be accessed for the purposes for which they are intended. No horse-play ANYWHERE in the facilities, i.e. halls, bathrooms, stages, etc.
- Do not touch mats, lockers, posters, furniture, and equipment located in /near the gyms. Dunking and hanging from rims by anyone is prohibited.
- No food/beverage allowed in the gym; only bottled water may be brought in by children or parents.
- Children should be monitored at all times during games. Chairs brought into gyms should be returned to original locations. Messes made by children or parents should be cleaned before leaving. Coaches should check bathrooms before leaving.
- Any problems or damage to gyms or school property occurring or discovered during practices or games should be immediately reported to program administrators.
Please email any questions to [email protected].
Facility-Specific Gym Rules
LOGAN HEALTH FITNESS CENTER (FORMERLY THE SUMMIT) GYM RULES
ST. MATTHEW’S GYM RULES
- Street shoes not allowed on the gym floor
- No food or drink in the gym (leave these items outside the gym door)
- Use the east entrance only
Gym Driving Directions and Access
Visit the Gym Locations page for driving directions and access instructions.
- In most cases, Montana High School Association rules of basketball will apply, however, with modifications and mollifications, due the age of rotary players.
- Good Sportsmanship is mandatory. Poor sportsmanship exhibited by a player is subject to punishment in the form of a stern visit, a technical foul, or removal from the game, based on referee discretion. Poor sportsmanship exhibited by a coach or parent will result in the same manner, however, an ejected coach or parent is required to leave the facility. It is up to the referee to determine if a game is unable to be continued in a safe environment. If not, he or she will conclude the game.
- 3rd and 4th Grade Rules:
- No recording of scores; all good plays applauded.
- 10 minute quarters; running clock unless stopped by an official; games begin 5 minutes after the hour and conclude 5 minutes before the next hour (i.e. 50 minutes total including a 10 minute half).
- 8’ baskets for 3rd grade and 10’ baskets for 4th grade; free throw line 2’ closer to basket; Jr.-size basketballs.
- Man-to-man defense only; no trapping defenses; no zone; no full court press; defense begins at or behind center court on each possession.
- 5 seconds maximum in the key for offensive players.
- Shooting fouls will result in 2 free throws; non-shooting fouls will result in an inbounds at location closest to the committed foul or determined by the referee based on fairness to the offended team, including half court.
- Players are allowed 5 fouls/game; if 3 fouls occur in first half, the player must be removed for the balance of the half.
- Players are prohibited to wear jewelry, hard barrettes, bobbie pins, arm or wrist bands, including ear studs.
- Nonconforming shirts are prohibited unless deemed by the referee as a good cause; shirts must always be tucked in.
- No three-point shots will be counted, only 2 point shots.
- One 30 second time-out per half.
- Equal playing time for all players.
- No overtimes.
- Rules will gradually become more strongly enforced as the season progresses; referee discretion will be observed as the referee provides guidance, explanations, teaching opportunities, while simultaneously creating awareness of infractions during the game.
- 5th and 6th Grade Rules:
- League standings will not be maintained, however, a running score will be kept for all games.
- 5 fouls/game/player; player with 3 fouls during first half will be removed for balance of the half.
- 10 foot baskets; regulation free throw lines.
- Man-to-man defense; no zone; no trap defenses; defenders off-ball shall be permitted to sag, but not into the key unless help is reasonable and necessary at the moment or unless the player being guarded is within 6 feet of the key. No specialty designed offenses moving player to far corners of the court, so only one person is involved in the offense.
- No full court press except, during tournaments, as we do not have an official clock until then. During tournaments presses will be allowed, the final two minutes of a game only. If a team is ahead by more than 10 points no pressing.
- Rules 3b, 3e, 3f, 3h, 3j, 3k, 3l, 3m, 3k will apply to 5th and 6th grade.
- No overtimes, except in the 6th grade post season tournament.
- Special rules may apply for the tournament.
- Please try to leave the gym facilities as clean as possible. Parents should ‘police’ their areas. Please help to ensure chairs are put away and gyms/bathrooms are left tidy.